1 of 2 - Big life advice

I'm posting two discussions today. I'll take any suggestions or comments. Not expecting some magician to show up with the answer to my problems, I just want to talk about stuff that's been on my mind for a long time and I hope some of you might enjoy contributing.

I've been living with my parents since April, after being a homeless bum with a pretty severe eating disorder and debilitating gastrointestinal distress, drug addiction, depresssion, intense relationship issues, self hate, blah blah blah. Now I have my health and a nest egg of money for the first time in my life, and this spring will be time to do something with it, and with my life. No more "preparation". Thank heaven!

I feel inclined to go to Hawaii and WWOOF there, and possibly settle there for good, whatever "good" means. ;-) My goal is sustainability, which to me means a fruity lifestyle in the tropics.

My other option is to buy a decent car and live in it, in a place like Arizona or Southern Cali. Maybe even Florida. To me this seems like the more rational, if you will, adult option to take.
I won't work to pay rent and all this crap. I don't want to be tied down like that and I want abundance in my life, which to me means letting go of restrictions like the need for a year-round job and expensive shelter on land that somebody else claims to own. I am comfortable with the idea of trying to live in a car. I'm just not sure if it's even responsible to be owning a car in this day and age.

Maybe you have an idea for a third option, just know that me working the jobs I am experienced in, in order to pay for a house with a toilet, is off the table and both of the options I have stated are really exciting to me, yet leave a lot unaccounted for.

Have at it, folks. Thank you <3
check the other discussion I'll post in a minute

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I feel inclined to go to Hawaii and WWOOF there, too, once I turn 18. I wouldn't want to work to pay rent either. But I still think you should make some money doing something you like. I've been wanting to make a YouTube channel for a long time. Living in a car isn't the best idea since it can be uncomfortable, not so great for the environment, and because of the gas prices. 

• Hey guys,

Thank you all SO MUCH for the responses. I absolutely adore the fluffy fruity floaters out of all of you <3

I just signed a lease on a cheap place in a nice town. I should be able to afford a car to get to the city to buy wholesale produce. I'm a pretty short bike ride away from UNH so I can go study. The house is not with old friends, but with people that seem more productive than me and are very concerned about the environment. It's a good living situation.

I just had to get out of my parents' house and be SURE I would never have to live there again. I am glad I considered other, less conventional options, but I feel prepared to succeed, and Hawaii isn't going anywhere!

I am definitely capable of building much more health than I have, here in New Hampshire.

I took all of your responses to heart. Thank you all again!

• way to go brad !!!!!!!!!!    you made good choices  that serve you 

• PLANNING to buy and CAR and go live in it? Sounds like a terrible idea dude. I don't know your back story...man, but you can do better. I lived in a car for a solid year, not ideal for SO many reasons. Terrible...terrible...terrible...

You're at least going to get a VAN right? I mean, even a truck with camper would be better than a car...but get the VAN. Why don't you want to work? If you want to EAT, you will want to either WORK, or grow your own food/live in nature...etc. So even if you don't work, you will need to work everyday to build shelter, grow food etc...

If you decide you won't even work at a farm in exchange for food or something like that...you will be left begging for scraps, going through dumpsters...that's a great way to run afoul of the law...get hit with a pipe in the back of your head while asleep on the street (like happened to my friend)...or a variety of other pleasantries...Whatever you decide, I would put safety as something important...you are worth it....

• are you interested in gardening or permaculture? you may want to check out this farm's website in ft. myers, fl. we visited it during the permaculture design course i took. it is honestly REALLY cool. they have a great setup there and a wonderful demonstration of how to do permaculture. lots of different projects they're working on. and plenty of AWESOME tropical fruit trees, obviously with GREAT soil to feed them. they have an internship program, but you have to commit for 14 months and have a bachelor's degree. check it out: http://echonet.org/echo-internship.

i've thought about doing it myself actually, i just don't feel ready to commit for that long a period of time at this point. definitely a great HANDS-ON opportunity for anyone who wants to learn about permaculture or sustainable systems though. i may change my mind, who knows. they're accepting applications for people who wanna start this summer until January 31st.

• question: why, to you, does the option of buying a car and living in it seem like the more rational one? (not saying it isn't per se, just wondering your rationale).

also, have you checked out this thread yet? http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/if-you-are-interested-in-...

• WWOOF     you likely get a better place to sleep then a car  and  from get go around people to learn from & hang out with   good things happening for you    i am happy for you 

• You've accomplished a lot since April! Congratulations!

My suggestion is to go WWOOFing. It's a great place to start, and you'll learn a lot about what you like and need.

• You've come a long way, Brad, and I like your attitude for moving into the future with expection of something better.

Wherever you choose to live, have you looked into house sitting?  That lets a responsible individual caretake a home for various amounts of time while living in it for free.

This reply was deleted.